Views
Helpful
Replies

Verifying basic device configuration when testing

jk865
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I'm a cisco student and I have been told a number of times that when testing the show running-config command should be a last resort and should be avoided where possible in packet tracer is the show running-config the best command to view the basic device configuration?

For example Disable DNS lookup, Device name, Password encryption, Min length etc. 

Thanks 

5 Replies 5

Hello,

actually, checking the running configuration is usually the very first thing me (and every other engineer I have ever met) does to verify device configuration. Who told you that it is to be used as gateway of last resort ? Might be in a different context.

Sorry I probably wasn't clear 

When testing and verifying the configuration of say VLANs & Trunking or device interfaces, I have always been told that we should use more specific show commands rather than the running-config 

Hello,

got it. That is a different issue then, and indeed, you can better use commands such as 'show vlan' and 'show interfaces trunk' for that.

I agree with Georg that context is very important. The title of the original post suggested a more general view "Verifying basic device configuration". And in that more general context I agree that show running is where I would usually start. If you are looking into some particular issue, such as vlans and trunking, then certainly there are commands that are more effective for investigating that function.

HTH

Rick

Hello
The idea behind what you have been told is correct. Not checking the running config gets you familiar with the most specific commands required for troubleshooting
You need to know what to look for and what commands get you there quickly so trawling through a long buffer readout of the entire configuration isn't going to really assist you, As eventually you need to use the more specific commands to fix the problem

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card