Views
Helpful
Replies

Very difficult issue to solve with RV042

douglas.nandi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

In my company we have one RV042 used to switch to WANs. When WAN1 fail, the WAN2 assumes.

In resume:

All is ok until here. But both WAN1 and WAN2 are LANs that have an specific range in IP address and one getaway each to the internet. The problem is: I want to access the LAN of WAN1 even when I use the WAN2 internet.

Detailed:

A - RV042 - Network 192.168.1.XXX (IP:192.168.1.1)

Smart Link Backup

Primary WAN: WAN1

Enable Network Service Detection: TRUE

When Fail: REMOVE THE CONNECTION

X - Router on WAN1 - Network 172.30.1.XXX (IP:172.30.1.1)

(I can't access this network when I use the WAN2, but I need)

Y - Router on WAN2 - Network 172.30.3.XXX (IP:172.30.3.1)

(I can't access this network when I use the WAN1, but I need)

Thanks for help.

3 Replies 3

syed.raza
Level 1
Level 1

its better if you can share a diagram of the setup. Just a quick concern: why dont you have routing between the two WANs. all you need is a router with legs in each WAN and the correct routing.

share a diagram to better understand the situation.

Regards

Syed

Thanks for helping Syed!! The problem is: I don't want to use the load balance, I want to use only one WAN at a time. When the WAN1 fail, the WAN2 assumes and I loss the connection with the LAN 172.30.1.XXX. And vice-versa.

Dear,

Is this not exactly what you have configured on RV042

A - RV042 - Network 192.168.1.XXX (IP:192.168.1.1)

Smart Link Backup

Primary WAN: WAN1

Enable Network Service Detection: TRUE

When Fail: REMOVE THE CONNECTION

The above line says if WAN1 and WAN2 are avaiable WAN1 is active..................rite?

when WAN1 fails, remove WAN1 ( which is a subnet) so u cannot communicate with WAN1.

since WAN1 has failed WAN2 became active so you can communicate with it.

IS THAT CORRECT?

what if i say you remove everything from your RV042 and simply connect 3 subnets wan1, wan2 and the 192.168.x.x subnet. i am sure you problem will go away. u wll be able to communicate to all 3 rgadless of which wan has failed.

the logic for primary and backup wan links should be in the default routes towards each internet connection.

let say you have 2 default routes to the internet

route 1 : 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0. via wan link 1 priority 100

route 2: 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 via wan link 2 priority 200

if you have the above in the RV042 what will happen that wan link1 will be primary; if it fails wan link 2 will start working. when wan link 1 resumes it will again become primary and wan link 2 will become secondary.

hope this helps.

Regards

syed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card