Views
Helpful
Replies

View Router logs

kaushal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco ASR1001. For some reason we had a network failure and i am trying to view the logs to figure out the time when this happened.

I also want to find out cause of this failure(e.g. config issue, hardware/interface failure).

Can someone tell me the commands i can view to view logs, events that could lead me to determine the exact cause of this failure to avoid this happening in the future.

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the router is configured to use logging buffered then you would use the command show log to view the log contents. If it is not using logging buffered then you would need to determine whether it is sending log messages to a syslog server where you might be able to view the logs.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your reply. Router is not configured to use logging buffered and i still need to figure out the cause of the failure. Are there any commands which i can use to see the past events? If it is then i can atleast get to see what went wrong

If logging is not enabled then there is not very much that you would be able to find about the cause of the failure. If it were something like a router crash you might get some insight into it from the output of show version. And if there is a crashinfo file in flash then it would have helpful information. Beyond that I am not sure what might be available to help identify the cause of the failure.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

If you're using an ASR, I'm pretty sure your environment use some kind of a NMS.

Is SNMP enabled on your ASR?

show run | inc snmp

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

We do but i could not find any related notification which would describe the reason for network failure. I am just wondering if this event was recordedd somewhere on the router. Once i know the event it should lead me to the cause of failure. Not sure how to figure out from router logs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco