Views
Helpful
Replies

VPLS BGP Discovery & Signalling

rpalmeida
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

To implement MPLS L2VPN (transport Vlan 100 from one PE to another PE), either by BGP SIGNALING or by LDP SIGNALING on a Native IOS or IOS-XE, which of these scenarios could be the simplest ( 2 print files in attachment )?

It is advisable or customary to implement only:
-BGP AUTO DISCOVERY?
-BGP AUTO SIGNALING?

I´m sending 2 attachments with 2 Configs.txt , one of L2VPN LDP and other with L2VPN BGP.

Can i build a config of L2VPN BGP ou LDP based on those files?

Thank you.

Best Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Level 12
Level 12

Hi @rpalmeida ,

> -BGP AUTO DISCOVERY?

> -BGP AUTO SIGNALING? 

I have seen customers going for either options. Both work just fine.

If you are already running LDP in the core to signal the LSP between the PEs, it makes sense to use LDP for the VPLS signalling as well.

If you use some other protocol (RSVP or SR) to signal the LSP then it would make more sense to use BGP for the VPLS signalling to keep the number of protocols down.

BTW, have you considered EVPN instead of VPLS to deliver your L2VPN services? In my view EVPN a superior protocol and is where most customers go for these days.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Harold Ritter
Level 12
Level 12

Hi @rpalmeida ,

> -BGP AUTO DISCOVERY?

> -BGP AUTO SIGNALING? 

I have seen customers going for either options. Both work just fine.

If you are already running LDP in the core to signal the LSP between the PEs, it makes sense to use LDP for the VPLS signalling as well.

If you use some other protocol (RSVP or SR) to signal the LSP then it would make more sense to use BGP for the VPLS signalling to keep the number of protocols down.

BTW, have you considered EVPN instead of VPLS to deliver your L2VPN services? In my view EVPN a superior protocol and is where most customers go for these days.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

rpalmeida
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Harold.

"If you are already running LDP in the core to signal the LSP between the PEs, it makes sense to use LDP for the VPLS signalling as well.

If you use some other protocol (RSVP or SR) to signal the LSP then it would make more sense to use BGP for the VPLS signalling to keep the number of protocols down."

Yes, i had MPLS-TE with 2 tunnels, one for Voice and other for Data ( with RSVP in Core ) but now is all MPLS ( with LDP in Core ), since we migrate the physical links to 10GB and Port-Channel 2x10GB, between PEs.

"BTW, have you considered EVPN instead of VPLS to deliver your L2VPN services?"

I never configured EVPN until now and i think Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series dont support.

We bought some Cisco Catalyst 9400 ( 8 i guess ), i think those can do EVPN.

Thanks for your fast response.

Best Regards.

Hi @rpalmeida ,

Thanks for the additional information.

I never configured EVPN until now and i think Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series dont support.

I guess you could consider EVPN once you phase out the 6500 then.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

@Harold Ritter 

BTW, have you considered EVPN instead of VPLS to deliver your L2VPN services? In my view EVPN a superior protocol and is where most customers go for these days. <<- there are two modes of EVPN VPLS and VPWS, there is no different between EVPN and VPLS but VPLS is mode of EVPN. 
just want to clear this point. 

@rpalmeida 

if you have MPLS TE then you use P2P and hence you can not use VPLS you can use VPWS only 
VPLS is P2MP

MHM

Hi @MHM Cisco World ,

there is no different between EVPN and VPLS but VPLS is mode of EVPN. 

What I am referring to here is EVPN VPLS vs traditional VPLS. 

When they created EVPN, they took in consideration all the known issues with traditional VPLS and tried to address them. The end result is that EVPN is a more robust and scalable protocol than traditional VPLS.

One if the thing that I really like if the fact that it supports all active multi homing (can be multi-homed to more than 2 PEs). Traditional VPLS only supports dual homing.

There is also the fact that MAC learning happens in the control plane with EVPN. It happens in the data plane with traditional VPLS.

Regards,

What I am referring to here is tradit

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600