cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN auto-failover

ddalessa
Level 1
Level 1

I have a location that requires WAN redundancy to its' primary MPLS connection.  This location has a Cisco 2960 L2 switch, to which I have a 2911 router with the Primary MPLS connection.  I also have a Cisco 1921 with a DMVPN tunnel back to our data center and it's up and working.  This router is also connected to the Cisco L2 2960.  What I do not have working is auto-failover.  I know I can play with weighted routes if the VPN connection was on the same router, but what about separate routers?  I'm using the same eigrp AS # for both routers.. suggestions ?  thank you.

4 Replies 4

Could you provide a diagram and details regrding routing protocols in use and how they are set up?

How do you route via MPLS (BGP?) ?

Are the MPLS router and the DMVPN router learning the same routes? Are both of these routers learning routes via EIGRP over MPLS and DMVPN, and are these routers EIGRP neighbors? If these conditions are true then I would think that you could use offset lists on the DMVPN router to make its routes look more expensive and that should achieve auto failover.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ddalessa
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, the MPLS is routing via BGP.  The DMVPN router is eigrp.   Presently, Richard, they are not eigrp neighbors... not yet anyways.  

I am puzzled how both routers can be using the same EIGRP AS# and not be neighbors. Perhaps you can clarify?

To implement auto failover the best way is to have both routers share routes with each other and to have a mechanism that would prefer routes from MPLS and would use DMVPN routes when the MPLS route was not available.

Perhaps another alternative might be to implement HSRP on both routers and to have the MPLS router with a higher priority so that it would be the active router and to implement some tracking mechanism so that the DMVPN router would become active if the MPLS router loses its connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card