cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN tunnel Between Cisco 831 & Pix 501

ivebeenciscoed
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to create a crypto IPSec VPN tunnel between A Cisco c831 and a Pix 501e using a back to back set-up with a cross-over cable?

A would greatly appreciate a detailed answer on either yes or no point's of view.

Many thanks

Stephen

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stephen

I have not tried to do this myself but I do not know of any reason why it would not work to configure an IPSec VPN between and 831 and a PIX 501 when they are connected via a cross over cable. The way that you configure IPSec VPN and identify the peer would be the same whether they are directly connected or many hops away.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for that!

If anyone would know about this question it would be you, looking at your credentials.

I hope this will work as I am doing a dummy peer to peer ipsec test setup with acl to implement on a couple of 2821 to connect several sites via MPLS and VPN tunnels.

I will go ahead and connect this up and post what the results are.... should be a good cheap testing alternative for people instead of buying very expensive equipment.

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen

I agree that setting up a test/proof of concept using back to back/crossover connection is a cheap and effective way to experiment with how IPSec and VPN work. And using an 831 should give you a pretty good model to follow on the 2821. Using the PIX in your test introduces a bit of complexity that you may not need for your implementation with the 2821s. (Or would the implementation be 2821s at remote sites and PIX at HQ?)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The Cisco PIX is used for the testing environment at my home as this is all I have with A c831 to create A VPN tunnel.

It is more complicated using A PIX than the standard IOS due to syntax but shouldn't be too taxing,  the company I work has 5 concurrent sites at the moment and have just purchased the 2821 Integrated Services Router for three new sites, so it's my little job spend some time at the data centre to set up these bad boys mainly with the intention of vpn between our main office to these sites and frame relay to our service provider for each site.

Configuring same devices like 2821's are so much more better than a PIX and let's say a Juniper Netscreen 5gt.

Our main site has the 3800 which will connect to the new 2821's at our new remote branches.

I will post again to let you know the status once I have built a basic tunnel and see if I can pass interesting traffic through.

Thank again Rick

Stephen

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card