Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP over OTV

Olle Johansson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

We have 2 DCN networks that we have bridged with OTV for migration.

We have a couple of Linux servers running VRRP and our problem is that servers running VRRP cannot find eachother and hence VRRP not working.

What I have understood FHRP should work over OTV unlessess we enable FHRP filterinh, wish we have not done

Any help are welcomed!

//Olle

4 Replies 4

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4

Most likely the VRRP hello messages might be filtered or multicast traffic being blocked.

You may want to enable some VRRP debugs on the Linux servers if possible, else you may have to do a packet capture to find where the VRRP hello is getting lost.

I am assuming the VRRP peers are across the DC.

@Olle Johansson wrote:

Hi!

We have 2 DCN networks that we have bridged with OTV for migration.

We have a couple of Linux servers running VRRP and our problem is that servers running VRRP cannot find eachother and hence VRRP not working.

What I have understood FHRP should work over OTV unlessess we enable FHRP filterinh, wish we have not done

Any help are welcomed!

//Olle

Hello,

in addition to the other post, make sure multicast address 224.0.0.18, which is used by VRRP, is able to go end to end between your Linux boxes...

What equipment is used in between the Linux machines ?

Hi!

I have 2 ASR 1001-X (one at each end of the OTV "cloud")

I have nothing that are blocking multicast. What I have learned is that multicast are forwared by default so it should work ou of the box, or I'm I wrong?

Thanks for your answer

//Olle

It seems that ASR-1001X is adding the following configuration under the Overlay1 interface by default.

otv filter-fhrp 

When this is configuration is removed FHRP, in this case VRRP, is working fine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card