Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wan Connection

Dear Experts,

Need your help, I have a internet connection with a static IP that is coming directly from the ISP.

I just wanna know whether I would be able to connect WAN cable directly to my PC or laptop instead of router, if so then I believe I need to enter the IP address manually.

I'm bit confused, how things work in this case, because everyone usually uses the internet through router.

But is it possible to access the internet if the WAN cable is directly connected to the Ethernet port of laptop or PC and the OS on my PC/laptop is ubuntu.

It's just a test case and before I could proceed further I just need your ideas.

Any help would be really appreciable.

Thanks

Mohammed Rashid

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

If you wan is a normal Ethernet connection, then yes, you should be able to connect the cable to your PC and it should be able to work. If your ISP is assigning you a static ip address, then you should be able to configure that ip on the PC and connect to the Internet. 

We normally connect through a router so that many clients share the single in Internet connection. The router will perform NAT for all connection from the internal network

The following doc gives some examples of NAT:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/network-address-translation-nat/13772-12.html

If your ISP has assigned you public address for the internal network, then the router will route between the internal network and the Internet

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

In addition to what John has said, I would also add another benefit of using a router is security.

By doing what you are asking, the node (i.e. your box in this case) is connected directly to the internet, which historically used to be the case. But for the reason John states, we now use routers.

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card