cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN failover to VPN question(s)

MooreIT01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All!  I've been asked to look into a way to provide some redundancy to our WAN in the event of an outage.  I'll admit this is a little bit outside of my comfort level in regards to my capabilities.  We currently have 6 total sites with one site acting as the corporate office where the data-center is located.  We have anywhere from 100mbps to 3mpbs links connecting everything together.  We're using TW Telecom's Metro-E product for out connectivity and in my time with company over the past 2 years we've lost connectivity 2 times, both due to building power outages at our facilities.  As reliable as this product has been for us we'd still like to plan for the worst.

My initial thought is to add a "business class" internet connection (Cable / DSL or something like that) at the remote locations along with a smaller firewall (say ASA5505 or 5510) with a backup VPN to the corporate office.  However the actual configuration of something like this is beyond me.  I'm not stuck on this idea and am open to others however "cheaper" seems to get preference over "better" around here.  We have a company that we lean on for this type of thing and they want to look at some FatPipe appliances (MPVPN's) however those are rather pricy.  So how would I go about something like what I've suggested above?  Attached is a quick diagram of our current setup if it helps.

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Your solution is feasable. Couple of things

a. Who will do the configuring?

b. who will do the intital testing and the regular testing. Trust me, backup plans need recurring testing.

c  sounds like a couple of UPS's would have done the trick.

Is there another carrier in the area that can provide the same service? you "could" consider a copy network, and load share.

A and B would be me most likely, C is just crazy talk . Thinking ahead, who does that?

*EDIT* I have thought about another carier for multiple WAN's however I think price would be prohibitive.

MooreIT01
Level 1
Level 1

So I've been thinking / reading about and here's where I'm at (see attached).  Will this work?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card