cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN speed calculation

liamelder
Level 1
Level 1

Hi im working on a UNI project. Im just wondering how you calculate or simply know how fast a link a company needs. Ive  been looking at BT's IP clear MPLS option as base for my project. It offers speeds from 56K to Gigabit, I understand it depends on what you need it for but how do you work it out?

Thanks

16 Replies 16

Yes I did - and I want a refund, or at least partial refund, if you're not going to spell my name right - it's "JosephDoherty" not "JospherDoherty"

You can't get the refund Joseph because the "refund" went to JospherDoherty instead.

Not to mention how I ran out and bought 100 copies to share with all my friends and acquaintances.

Did you autograph the copies/pages and have them etched in bronze?

leolaohoo wrote:

Yes I did - and I want a refund, or at least partial refund, if you're not going to spell my name right - it's "JosephDoherty" not "JospherDoherty"

You can't get the refund Joseph because the "refund" went to JospherDoherty instead.

Not to mention how I ran out and bought 100 copies to share with all my friends and acquaintances.

Did you autograph the copies/pages and have them etched in bronze?

Couldn't properly autograph them because of the name issue, but I hadn't even considered having them etched in bronze (slap against forehead)!

PS:

To Liam (original poster), hope this little interplay between Leo and myself (and Dave too) wasn't a problem.  If you need additional information, or the serious replies didn't fully answer your question, please let us know.

Perhaps the biggest issues you might contend with sizing a WAN link, is what's actually available and most important of all, how much is it going to cost?

One interesting problem when working with WAN links vs. LAN links, surprisingly high (100 Mbps or faster) LAN like bandwidths can be much more difficult to take full advantage of then similar bandwidths on a LAN link.  Dave's "serious" posting touches on some of those issues.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card