Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN speed compare 6509E and 7206VXR NPE-G2

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

Dear all,

I have been asking a lot of experts that everyone give me different answer.

Here is the situation, we have two site, currently, connect between 100MB WAN link from ISP. Site A is 7206VXR with NPE300, Site B is 3725.

Both site also has 6509E with SUP 720 and WS-X6748-GE-TX, I can move the 100MB wan link (routed port) to 6509E instead of 7206 and 3725.

My question is that, other than the feature set different between switch and router. Which method have better performance??

In the very near future, I want to buy 7206 NPE-G2 or ASR 10000 series, so I can get faster speed in terms of packet per second. However, if 6509 can give me faster performance, why do I bother get the routers ( I knew I will lose some feature set, like QoS, NBAR, etc).

Thanks in advance!!!

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which method have better performance??

While losing all the features you already mentioned, the switch will give you a better performance.

The switch is already part of your traffic flow from the WAN to the LAN and you aren't experiencing any bottleneck at the switch, correct ?

If you decide to move towards Advanced QoS, you can always get a SIP/SPA for the Cat6k.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Thanks for your reply.

If I want to look up the WAN performance for 6509E with SUP720 and 7206VXR with NPE-2G.

I knew there are bunch documentation, but it is so confused.

Like, bandwidth, pps, throughput, it just make me more confuse.

Can you give me an example with URL link? So I can compare 6509E and 7206??

Ken

Quick reference for all devices:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/quickreference/index.html

Cat6k is a complicated beast where performance varies depending upon the hardware that it's installed.

Take some time and read this document in full:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd80673385.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card