cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What router to use on a 300/300 Mbps WAN link for about 50 users?

gergokarpati
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am in need of your assistance... Thank you for all the replies in advance!

I seem to have a rather unusual problem, we have an office with a 300/300 Mbps internet connection and about 50 users. I have checked what router would do the job without blowing up or just simply being a bottleneck and I find it rather difficult to find a solution...

1st criteria would be to have a Gi WAN Port (RJ45) and a Gi LAN port (RJ45). (ISR - 890 Series are not good as they have only a switch panel faceing the lan with 8*Fa).

The main problem is with the throughput according to some documentation I have found.

For example this:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

this is... depressing to say the least :) I would need at least a ISR G2 2951 to be able to have ~300Mbps throughput.

on the other hand... an ISR - 860 has 12.80Mbps... which is not a real value for sure. 

My question wozuld be if there is a documentation out there, or someone who know from experience what router would be enough for such a line?

Regards,

Gergő

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco recommends a 3925E for 250/250 and a 3945E for 350/350 (this based on performance testing [drawing the the same document your second posting references]).

Cisco recommendations support those bandwidths, with most common services, with INET type traffic, and not loading the CPU above 75%.

Could you go smaller?  Sure, you just need to recognize that smaller routers might not be able to handle your 300/300 fully loaded, but if you really don't expect to fully load your 300/300, you can size for your expected maximum or average capacity needs.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

adamtodd16
Level 3
Level 3

You would need at least a 2951 to handle 300/300, though a 3925 would be a better option.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/sites/default/files/legacy/9/9/1/118199-routerperformance.pdf

Adam, thanks for the reply, but I did find this also...
http://anticisco.ru/pubs/ISR_G2_Perfomance.pdf

here table 1 suggests that a 890 is more than enough... confusion, confusion everywhere... 

I know, to be on the safe over-exaggerating with the 4000% :)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco recommends a 3925E for 250/250 and a 3945E for 350/350 (this based on performance testing [drawing the the same document your second posting references]).

Cisco recommendations support those bandwidths, with most common services, with INET type traffic, and not loading the CPU above 75%.

Could you go smaller?  Sure, you just need to recognize that smaller routers might not be able to handle your 300/300 fully loaded, but if you really don't expect to fully load your 300/300, you can size for your expected maximum or average capacity needs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco