Views
Helpful
Replies

What Serial Ports to buy for 2620XM

omal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am confused of what serial ports to buy for 2620XM.

In this link in figure 4 there is a network module that has 8 serial ports. But they are asynchronous/synchronous serial ports?

The link is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps274/product_data_sheet09186a0080091b8b.html

If I compare these serial ports and the serial ports that I get in WIC-1t, what is the differece?

In WIC-1t the serial port is DB60 (the big one) compared to WIC-2t. If I want to have a card that has two serial ports like in WIC-1t, do I have to buy two WIC-1t cards or are there any card that has that size two serial ports?

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

1-asynchronous/synchronous serial ports are low speed ports : max 128kbps.

however with wic-1t or wic-2t you can reach 2mbps.

2-if you wan to use the DB60, you must buy two WIC-1t cards or NM-4T.

wic-2t works with smart serial cables

NM-4T is not supported on 2620.

So you wud need to buy 2x WIC-1T

Cheers!

Hi

Many thanks for your replies.

1) Why would someone buy low speed asynchronous/synchronous ports if the maximum speed it supports is only 128kbps?

2) In NM-4T there are four serial ports. Is there a way for me to get only 2 serial ports?

3) In NM-4T also we have low speed asynchronous/synchronous ports, right? What I want to do is run OSPFv3, EIGRPv6, BGP & IS-IS with IPv6. I hope these speeds of the serial ports have nothing to do with these routing protocols, am I correct?

4) Can I plug this NM-4T to 2620XM?

Thanks in advance!

Check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps274/product_data_sheet09186a0080091b8b.html

Dont buy NM-4T for you 2620 router, as it wont work.

You still be able to run those routing protocols.

you can plugin NM-4T into 2620, but it wont work.

Cheers!

PS: When u rate, pls confirm the solution worked for you.

Hi

Thanks for your post. I checked that link. I saw that page earlier also. I got confused from that page because it didn't give information such as which cards can be plugged to which ports.

Thanks a lot!

1) Why would someone buy low speed asynchronous/synchronous ports if the maximum speed it supports is only 128kbps?

A: they are less expensive than wic-2T. if you are using the serial interfaces to connect them to one external modem (PSTN connection) then you r sure your speed will not exceed 128kbps

3) In NM-4T also we have low speed asynchronous/synchronous ports, right?

A: NM-4T is high speed interface but NM-4AS are low speed interfaces.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card