Views
Helpful
Replies

What Serial Ports to buy for 2620XM

omal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am confused of what serial ports to buy for 2620XM.

In this link in figure 4 there is a network module that has 8 serial ports. But they are asynchronous/synchronous serial ports?

The link is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps274/product_data_sheet09186a0080091b8b.html

If I compare these serial ports and the serial ports that I get in WIC-1t, what is the differece?

In WIC-1t the serial port is DB60 (the big one) compared to WIC-2t. If I want to have a card that has two serial ports like in WIC-1t, do I have to buy two WIC-1t cards or are there any card that has that size two serial ports?

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

1-asynchronous/synchronous serial ports are low speed ports : max 128kbps.

however with wic-1t or wic-2t you can reach 2mbps.

2-if you wan to use the DB60, you must buy two WIC-1t cards or NM-4T.

wic-2t works with smart serial cables

NM-4T is not supported on 2620.

So you wud need to buy 2x WIC-1T

Cheers!

Hi

Many thanks for your replies.

1) Why would someone buy low speed asynchronous/synchronous ports if the maximum speed it supports is only 128kbps?

2) In NM-4T there are four serial ports. Is there a way for me to get only 2 serial ports?

3) In NM-4T also we have low speed asynchronous/synchronous ports, right? What I want to do is run OSPFv3, EIGRPv6, BGP & IS-IS with IPv6. I hope these speeds of the serial ports have nothing to do with these routing protocols, am I correct?

4) Can I plug this NM-4T to 2620XM?

Thanks in advance!

Check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps274/product_data_sheet09186a0080091b8b.html

Dont buy NM-4T for you 2620 router, as it wont work.

You still be able to run those routing protocols.

you can plugin NM-4T into 2620, but it wont work.

Cheers!

PS: When u rate, pls confirm the solution worked for you.

Hi

Thanks for your post. I checked that link. I saw that page earlier also. I got confused from that page because it didn't give information such as which cards can be plugged to which ports.

Thanks a lot!

1) Why would someone buy low speed asynchronous/synchronous ports if the maximum speed it supports is only 128kbps?

A: they are less expensive than wic-2T. if you are using the serial interfaces to connect them to one external modem (PSTN connection) then you r sure your speed will not exceed 128kbps

3) In NM-4T also we have low speed asynchronous/synchronous ports, right?

A: NM-4T is high speed interface but NM-4AS are low speed interfaces.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: