cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

which path is preferred between different ospf metric?

syjeon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

for example, when A subnet is redistributing from BGP to OSPF router A with metric 200, and A subnet is also redistributed from router B with metric 150, then the OSPF path selection can take place to select the lower metric to router B cluster?

my intention is to use the router B with metric 150 to select path to go out, and keep router A as back up which it will not in use on normal operation.

both router A/B will use type-1 ospf redistribution when it redistributed into OSPF from BGP.

2 Replies 2

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

Not clear about your question  but a route  with lower metric will always be the best path .

Hi,
we have a datacenter, there are two BGP routers, they are totally different purpose and different ASN. but, as I mentioned, the subnet A learning from both router via eBGP, and redistributing into OSPF. so, normal operation, I wish OSPF select the lower metric when the it goes out to destination A subnet.

so, the point of question is, if same subnet is learned via multiple eBGP with different metric redistribute into OSPF, then, the traffic is heading to eBGP router redistributed lower metric?

router A - OSPF
ROUTER OSPF 40
redistribute bgp 65338 metric 200 metric-type 1 subnets route-map BGP2OSPF

router B - OSPF
ROUTER OSPF 40
redistribute bgp 65502 metric 150 metric-type 1 subnets route-map BGP2OSPF
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card