cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why lose a router settings after a power outage?

yesenia-m
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

After a power outage lost my router configuration, was saved, reload the configuration, save, reboot and no problem.

How to know if my router is properly, all my services run smoothly? Why it happens that configuration is lost?

Are there any benefits the settings saved in flash?

Thank you

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Yesenia,

Did you check if the NVRAM was empty or running config was empty?

If router booted with empty running config, it could be that startup got erased (NVRAM issue) or that it did not load it from startup to running (likely config-reg) issue.

Since in your case config-register ix 0x2102 and was not changed, the problem should be with NVRAM.

From me exprience, I have seen that in the following cases:

- config was not saved to NVRAM;

- at the time of powerdown the NVRAM startup file was accessed for editing (e.g. saving running config) and got corrupted or erased;

- NVRAM HW issues cause file system problems.

Is it reproducible in your case? E.g. if you powercycle the switch, do you see the same problem with config loss? If yes, check the NVRAM content.  That could give some hints.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi Yesenia,

you should check the value of your register with:

show version

it should be on most of the routers 0x2102

Hope this helps

Alessio

Hi Alessio

I have reviewed the register value, which is 0x2102.

My question is why this happens, because the configuration is lost after a power outage

Thank you

Hi Yesenia,

Did you check if the NVRAM was empty or running config was empty?

If router booted with empty running config, it could be that startup got erased (NVRAM issue) or that it did not load it from startup to running (likely config-reg) issue.

Since in your case config-register ix 0x2102 and was not changed, the problem should be with NVRAM.

From me exprience, I have seen that in the following cases:

- config was not saved to NVRAM;

- at the time of powerdown the NVRAM startup file was accessed for editing (e.g. saving running config) and got corrupted or erased;

- NVRAM HW issues cause file system problems.

Is it reproducible in your case? E.g. if you powercycle the switch, do you see the same problem with config loss? If yes, check the NVRAM content.  That could give some hints.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By the way, which switch/router model is that? Data in NVRAM (startup-config) is in some models powered by a battery, which could be getting weak.

Kind Regards,

Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hi Ivan

Its a router model 3825, (C3825-IPVOICEK9-M),

To verify NVRAN (startup-config) if I see computer settings

How I can know if it has a battery and this battery is low?

Thank you

Hi,

As far as I am aware, it has flash memory as NVRAM which does not require battery.

Lithium battery on this platform is used for real time clock only.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card