Views
Helpful
Replies

WIFI Channels

mainodin87
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

We have one wifi router of D-link which is used to connect directly to internet, users are complaining about slow access and one of my networking friend advised me to change Channel setting in WIFI router and after the required changes the network is running smooth.

Just want to know what these channels really are ? when I keep it in auto it was giving a problem but when I changed it to 9 its working fine what the difference ?

Thank you,

Mainodin

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Wi-Fi channels are the radio frequency that will be used (much like TV or CB channels).

There can be more local usage on one frequency/channel than another, so moving to a less used channel generally improves your performance.

High end (those managed by some kind of "controller") Wi-Fi systems often can constantly monitor local channel usage and dynamically move a AP from one channel to another.

Hey Joseph,

Thanks for the input, but i have one confusion why it wont work when its in Auto mode.

Regards,

Mainodin

The "Auto mode" is on the D-Link Wi-Fi router?  If so, I'm unfamiliar with such.

If the "Auto mode" was related to something else, what is the "else"?

the auto mode on lower end wireless routers will likely only check the channels on boot up to see which channel is less congested.  After it is powered on I don't believe any checks will be carried out to change channel, I could be wrong but this is a common problem when there is a high density of 2.4Ghz wireless.  

using a 5Ghz wireless router will no doubt give you better results as there are a lot more channels to choose from. 

Hey Joseph/Shaps,

We are using d-link DIR-816 as you can see in below pic we have wireless and wireless 5G in wireless i have changed channel from Auto to 9 after that issue was resolved but in wireless 5G its Auto.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card