Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi on laptop, not on phone

Ingramrod85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So I brought over a friend's wireless router to allow for wifi in my apartment.  When he originally set up the router, he hid the ID from being visible during a scan (so you have to manually enter the ID and password for the wifi to be accessed).

I'm in over my head with this.  I'm able to connect to the wifi with my mac laptop, and with my iPod touch.  Both access the internet fine.

However my phone, which is a Droid Razr, connects to the wifi, but isn't able to access the internet.  Typically, when I connet to wifi on my phone, the wifi symbol appears at the top, and it appears in a blue color.  However, when I go to connect my phone to the router in my apartment, the symbol appears grey, even though it shows it's connected.

Can anyone advise me here?  Thanks in advance

10 Replies 10

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

install net ping for android and test if you can ping the router LAN IP, if you can't  then verify you got the correct IP settings on the phone. if you can then try to ping 8.8.8.8 and if successful then try to ping  www.google.com

Give us the results.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks Alain,

I downloaded the app, and it appears the I'm able to ping the router LAN IP.  The results were:

127.0.0.0.1 response times were 0.153 ms, 0.336 ms, 0.305ms, 0.244 ms.

My knowledge on this subject is very limited, but to me that means the router is broadcasting fine, correct?

Please advise on what I should do from here.  Again, thanks in advance.

Hi,

127.0.0.1 is loopback address so you were pinging your phone. ask for the IP address of the LAN interface of the router to your friend it should begin with either 192 or 10 or 172.

Regards.

Alain

Good call, Alain.

Ok the router's IP address is 8.30.100.73 as reported by my mac.

I pinged this and got back response times of 345 ms, 203 ms, 155 ms, and 240 ms.

Hi Jon,

the 8. x address is a public IP address so it surely is not the LAN IP but rather the WAN IP.

is it a cable modem/router?

Did you try pinging 8.8.8.8 and www.google.com ?

Regards.

Alain

It is a cable modem/router.  The IP address was just what I got from my mac.  My mac laptop said it was connected to "srjpl" (the name of my router) and gave the IP address I just previously mentioned.

I pinged 8.8.8.8 and got response times of 150ms, 156, 163, and 147.

When I pinged www.google.com, it read (2607:f8b0:4002:801::1014) next to www.google.com.  Otherwise, it wouldn't let me ping it.

There is also another router my devices pick up that doesn't have a security password, and sometimes they connect to that one automatically, but again, my router's network name is srjpl.

Hi,

ok so the problem is with dns, your android device is receiving a quad A IPv6 DNS record but it should receive an IPv4 one.

what have you got when pinging www.cisco.com, www.yahoo.com  ?

Regards.

Alain

When I ping www.cisco.com it reads: www.cisco.com (2600:807:320:701:9100::90)

When I ping www.yahoo.com it reads: www.yaho.com (2001:4998:44:4::c:9101)

Alain,

I was able to fix the problem by switching some wires around in the back of the router.  Shaking my head right now, should have been something I caught earlier.

But thanks a ton for helping me out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card