cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will 2 routers running in server mode with no vtp domain defined conflict with each other when connecting over layer 2 sonet?

douglas.mckee
Level 1
Level 1

Our remote site has a 3845 router running MPLS to connect back to our other 3845 locally. The ISP has provided us a layer 2 sonet connection with no other configurations necessary with the exception of configuring the layer 2 portion on our side. Both of these 3845 routers are in "server mode" with "no vtp domain" specified. Will this cause an issue/conflict when the remote router bypasses the MPLS for the faster 100MB layer 2 connection?

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Douglas

Not sure I follow.

Even if it is L2 connection can you not connect to routed ports on each router ie. use a /30 subnet for the connection and route between sites ?

Edit - this may be down to my lack of knowledge on SONET so maybe the above is not applicable.

Is the connection going to be a trunk port ?

Jon

We will be configuring a /252 on each of the Gig0/1 ports of the 3845 routers. After we're able to ping back and forth we will be placing that network into OSPF on each of the routers.

So they are routed ports.

In which cause VTP will not go over that link because your ports are L3 and VTP requires a trunk link.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the setup ?

Jon

Jon,

Excellent answer. Our two 3845 routers are about 400 miles away and we're trying to bring up a layer 2 100MB sonet connection over fiber connected to the GIG0/1 port on each router. I was worried that essentially having these 2 routers back to back over layer 2 may cause issues since our remote site has a higher revision number than our local site. It appears since we're configuring an ip address on each router and then adding the network to ospf this shouldn't conflict with our 2 routers. Below is how each router VTP is configured with the exception our remote site has 1 extra VLAN and a higher revision number.

VTP Version                     : 2

Configuration Revision          : 0

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 68

Number of existing VLANs        : 5

VTP Operating Mode              : Server

VTP Domain Name                 :

VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode                     : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation            : Enabled

MD5 digest                      : 0xBF 0x86 0x94 0x45 0xFC 0xDF 0xB5 0x70

I think it was the bit when you talked about configuring the L2 part on your side that threw me.

I envisaged you extending a vlan across the link but if you are using the onboard ports these can only be L3 as far as I am aware and so it is just a routed P2P link as far as I can see.

Jon

jatinder sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

VTP will come in picture ,when you are connecting routers using trunk link. but you are configuring router interface L3 interface  , .

Regards

Jatinder

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card