cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will the "copy start run" remove the above 2 commands?

Hello.

2951(config)# router EIGRP 1

2951(config-router)# redistribute static metric 500000 1 255 1 1500

... then I want to remove these (and other) commands, so I execute

# copy start run.

QUESTION: Will the

copy start run

remove the above 2 commands?

Thank you.

28 Replies 28

but that not make sense, if we want to safe config and do some change and if we want to point zero we can not do 

copy start run ?

can you confirm 

Yes, I confirm.

Regarding not making sense, depends what you are trying to do.

Cisco's traditional way of restoring running like startup is

reload

.  ; )

For sometime now, on some platforms, Cisco supports an optional rollback feature.

Does

reload

reboot device? (If so, that is not always a desired option.)

"Does

reload

reboot device? (If so, that is not always a desired option.)"

Yes and often not desired.

See whether your platforms support any of the following:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/config-mgmt/configuration/15-sy/config-mgmt-15-sy-book/cm-config-rollback.html

You might also look at the other guide's sections.

Possibly using (if platform supported) the

configreplace 

command is exactly what you want.  (Sorry, I forgot about this latter command.)

Goal is not to save config, goal is to put config in garbage. Goal is to rollback to old config.

Thank you Joseph.

OK, this is important, because I have had Cisco TACs contradict your statement, and it was during a major crisis. (I have no reason to believe you are incorrect.)

So may you please really doublecheck confirm that

copy start run

ONLY MERGES the startup config, and DOES NOT REPLACE the startup config?

Thank you.

Furthermore...

1. Does the different command

copy run start

ONLY MERGE the running config to the startup config, or does it REPLACE the startup config?

2. If I want the box to have the exact running config that I saved 2 weeks ago to a tftp server, what are the commands I should execute?

Thank you.

#1 does a replace.

#2 copy tftp:xxx start

Reload

Positive for classical IOS.  Pretty certain for IOS-XE.  Unsure about IOS-XR or Nexus OSs.

"(I have no reason to believe you are incorrect.)"

Perhaps not, but one time I thought I made a mistake, but I was mistaken.  ; )

Seriously, though, I'm not always 100% accurate, or certain, which is why so many of my comments have something like "I recall (?)" and my memory ain't what it used to be, laugh.

". . . because I have had Cisco TACs contradict your statement . . ."

Yea, well, they too sometimes get things wrong, but on the whole, they are pretty darn good.

Anyway, your (noted) own experience contradicts what you say TAC said, additionally the Cisco reference I provided contradicts them too.

Actually, my biggest concern was whether Cisco revised how copying into the running configuration works, in the latest IOS variants, especially since @Kasun Bandara [a VIP with CCDP and CCNP] and @sidshas03 didn't appear to "know" how copy start run actually worked, the way I recall it worked.  (Again, I wondered, had it changed?)

Regarding @MHM Cisco World (another very knowledgeable VIP), he too seemed unaware of how copy start run actually worked too, but he also seemed to misunderstand your OP.

Again, my memory also ain't what it used to be, but the reason I was positive about classic IOS, in the past, I've taken advantage of this "feature" multiple times.  (I also now remember using the configurereplace, but rarely.  My favorite command was 

show archive config differences

.)

@jmaxwellUSAF  @Joseph W. Doherty 

I need to check before answer. there is something missing here .
thanks 
MHM

Use 'configure replace' Instead of 'copy start run' - PacketLife.net

This means that running configuration lines that aren't in the startup configuration won't be overwritten or removed. The result is usually a messy, incomplete configuration.

that why every one give different answer, because we answer what we try before and in reality it messy.

BTW, there's a bit of a difference between

configurereplace and configure replace

(actually the reason I suggested the former).

No prerequisite configuration is needed to use the 

configure
replace

command

for

configuration replace:

You must create a configuration archive before . . .

Many thanks for your comment 

Always you are super in your comment.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card