Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Write command

Hi gentlemen,

What's the different between "write erase" & "erase startup-config" comands?

With which command I can erase all of my configurations?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi miracle_david@yahoo.com 

The commandments do the same function.
It seems to me that the difference is in the age of the commands.
If I'm not wrong, the oldest is erase write and the most recent is erase nvram.
It is possible that some IOS some command is not supported, so it is good to have these 3 options in mind.

https://books.google.cl/books?id=eeYyDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT288&lpg=PT288&dq=write+erase+vs+erase+startup-config&source=bl&ots=Ccwhnjoyhp&sig=ACfU3U27Djc3_YgJzyN_Y9FxmG_zEgdVkw&hl=es-419&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi52rHO54vqAhUjHbkGHaHJCuw4FBDoATAEegQIDBAB#v=onepage&q=w...

90F4FF87-6D8B-4666-A03C-538C9B3299F1.jpeg

Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Martin L
VIP
VIP

both will do the same thing; erase start config; all you have left is running config.  to save running to start up, do write again or copy run start

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi miracle_david@yahoo.com 

The commandments do the same function.
It seems to me that the difference is in the age of the commands.
If I'm not wrong, the oldest is erase write and the most recent is erase nvram.
It is possible that some IOS some command is not supported, so it is good to have these 3 options in mind.

https://books.google.cl/books?id=eeYyDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT288&lpg=PT288&dq=write+erase+vs+erase+startup-config&source=bl&ots=Ccwhnjoyhp&sig=ACfU3U27Djc3_YgJzyN_Y9FxmG_zEgdVkw&hl=es-419&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi52rHO54vqAhUjHbkGHaHJCuw4FBDoATAEegQIDBAB#v=onepage&q=w...

90F4FF87-6D8B-4666-A03C-538C9B3299F1.jpeg

Regards

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As noted by the others, they really perform the same, but as noted by Luis, having two commands do the same thing really is due to the age of the commands. If I remember correct, some later Cisco documentation notes there's intent to deprecate the write command, but I suspect that has yet not happened because using "wr" to save the running config to start up, I believe, is very popular.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card