cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice on Cloud OnRamp for Azure with Global VNET Peering

JON SHORTEN
Level 1
Level 1

We have a customer looking at SD-WAN with an Azure environment across 3 regions.  Within Azure they are using Global VNet Peering.

When creating the transit network for SD-WAN, do we create 3 x transit networks linked by Global VNet Peering (i.e. 2 x vEdge per region), or treat the peered transit VNet as the onramp (i.e. 2 x vEdge across 3 regions).  If the latter, any advice on vEdge placement would also be welcome.

To add complexity, one of the regions is China, any experience with cross border SD-WAN from China would also be gratefully received.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Both options are valid. One requires more wan edge licenses than the other, but it optimizes for vNet to onprem traffic flow. I think to have the design fit better for the customer, you need consider other things. Such as, how many vNETs does the customer have? Is there lot cross region vNET to vNET communication? Is the onprem connected over internet or expressroute? How's the on-prem connected to Azure?

Another design option is to use Azure vWAN. It uses Azure hub spoke solution for vNET to vHub, and fully integrated with cisco sdwan solution.

HTH,

Lei Tian

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Both options are valid. One requires more wan edge licenses than the other, but it optimizes for vNet to onprem traffic flow. I think to have the design fit better for the customer, you need consider other things. Such as, how many vNETs does the customer have? Is there lot cross region vNET to vNET communication? Is the onprem connected over internet or expressroute? How's the on-prem connected to Azure?

Another design option is to use Azure vWAN. It uses Azure hub spoke solution for vNET to vHub, and fully integrated with cisco sdwan solution.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Hi Lei Tian

Thanks for the reply, at least I know I'm somewhere near the right track.

Do you have any links for Azure WAN - Cisco SD-WAN integration?  IThat may be something this customer would like to look at.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: