Views
Helpful
Replies

Bidirectional packet capture for vEdge

saifulazlan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I would like to know if vEdge 1000 support bidirectional packet capture in SDWAN Manager. vEdge is running version 20.3.7.1 while 20.9.4.1 for all controllers and SDWAN manager. Thank you

Azlan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Whatever I shared is "Packet Trace" tool which can show path-trace (what and where happening) with copy packet availability.

Whatever you shared is " Embedded Packet Capture" tool which captures packets at some points of flow with respect to device where you do capture.

For Packet Trace, bidirectional support is available from 17.8/20.8 (cEdge/vEdge).

For EPC, bidirectional support is available from 17.7 (cEdge only). For vEdge I don't see that support even with latest releases, just as feature it is supported from 20.6 releases.

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

it is from 17.8/20.8. Since your router has lower release, it will not be possible:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/Monitor-And-Maintain/monitor-maintain-book/packet-trace.html

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

Hi Kanan,

Thank you for your response and clarification. Can i say that packet "capture" is based on packet "tracer" feature? 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/Monitor-And-Maintain/monitor-maintain-book/m-network.html#concept_dxx_5sm_3lb:~:text=Route%20Visualization.-,Capture%20Packets,-Table%206.

Bidirectional Packet Capture for Cisco IOS XE Catalyst SD-WAN Devices

Cisco IOS XE Catalyst SD-WAN Release 17.7.1a

Cisco vManage Release 20.7.1

This feature enhances the embedded packet capture functionality to support bidirectional packet capture through Cisco SD-WAN Manager.

Thank you.

Whatever I shared is "Packet Trace" tool which can show path-trace (what and where happening) with copy packet availability.

Whatever you shared is " Embedded Packet Capture" tool which captures packets at some points of flow with respect to device where you do capture.

For Packet Trace, bidirectional support is available from 17.8/20.8 (cEdge/vEdge).

For EPC, bidirectional support is available from 17.7 (cEdge only). For vEdge I don't see that support even with latest releases, just as feature it is supported from 20.6 releases.

HTH,

Hi Kanan,

I really appreciate the explanation. That implies that the only option left to me is to switch from vEdge to cEdge hardware in order to enable the EPC bidirectional packet capture feature.

Once again, thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card