cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cEdge - Creating a file at the CLI

maxnpj
Level 1
Level 1

We have plenty of vEdge devices in the network; we are starting to convert them to cEdge devices. This is being done remotely. Converting the device to IOS-XE is relatively easy, and the process through vManage works well. It's when that process is done that I have a problem. I am able to get back to the new over an alternate connection and then through the console, of course, I am now at the "Router#" prompt with no config. I downloaded the bootstrap file that has the new cEdge config but I can't get it to the remote cEdge. I've tried to create a file using TCLSH and guestshell but those don't work on this device since it's in controller mode; I cannot remove the device from controller mode either.

How can I either edit the existing "ciscosdwan.cfg" file or create a new, empty "ciscosdwan.cfg" file and then paste in the contents of the bootstrap file?

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what i suggest is , if you have access to device #

then add basic configuration to reach vManange /. vBOND Configuration, Once the device reach controller you can push the config from vManage.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

send bootstrap config file to field engineer, ask him to put file to FAT32 formatted usb flash drive and insert USB before plugging router to power.

Read "Cisco SD-WAN: WAN Edge Onboarding" guide, search for section "Option 2: Onboarding Cisco IOS-XE SD-WAN WAN device with Bootstrap deployment option."

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/SDWAN/sdwan-wan-edge-onboarding-deploy-guide-2020nov.pdf

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

maxnpj
Level 1
Level 1

So, thank you both for the answers, balaji.bandi - your suggestion is how we've done it when we have a device connected to broadband, and it works as expected. It's when we have a device connected to MPLS that we run into a problem; for whatever reason we cannot get control connections to come up and stay up when the device is connected only to MPLS. For the Viptela OS devices, this works fine, but for some reason, the IOS devices just don't behave the same. We've been able to 'rig' to config on the MPLS device to use a TLOC extension to the broadband device and this works, but the idea of creating a file and dropping the bootstrap info into that file on the device seemed much easier than all this tap dancing to get the cEdge to phone home.

Kanan Huseynli - Our "field engineers" are accountants, or plant managers, or warehouse managers at various facilities and even better....since those folks are non-IT folks they can't transfer files to a USB flash drive; laptop security policy prohibits that.

So, while both answers are technically accurate, they just don't fit for me.

what IOS code on cedge and what version is vbond and vmanage ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

IOS code is 17.6.3
Controllers are 20.6.3.2

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card