cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco certifications relevance in SD-WAN, SDN

eddie.sardinha
Level 1
Level 1

Is the Cisco CCNP or even CCIE still relevant in the days of SD-WAN and SDN in corporate environments?  I would imagine in the datacenter yes but how is it in the corporate world?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Oh, I don't think any CCNA, CCNP or CCIE is a waste of time.

A "cloud" track, or any track, might provide an edge getting a job in that particular facet of the industry, but again, the certifications have value even if you're working in a different facet of the industry.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The whole corporate world has quite yet converted everything to SD-WAN or SDN.  ;)

Even it there were true, a lot of the value of a CCNP or CCIE, is somewhat like having a college degree, it often implies a certain level of competence.

That is true! I am just looking for what others experience as I would like to get my CCNP eventually but don't want to waste time either. Does it make sense to go the CCNA cloud route?

Thanks,

Oh, I don't think any CCNA, CCNP or CCIE is a waste of time.

A "cloud" track, or any track, might provide an edge getting a job in that particular facet of the industry, but again, the certifications have value even if you're working in a different facet of the industry.

Also for "subscription defined networks", the underlying technologies are still relevant and there have to be Admins that understand what is going on. So yes, the "doing" of network-adminstration will change over time, the demand for educated admins will not.

rgodden
Level 3
Level 3

The Cisco business model that these qualifications were setup for is changing, ie used to be resellers selling. installing and supporting kit .

The move to cloud will mean less required , as less customers will have on prem , on prem support etc etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco