Clear control connections

knaik99
Level 1
Level 1
4 Replies 4

husseino
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, the command forces the device to terminate all DTLS tunnels and re-establish new DTLS tunnels with all controllers.

Can it disturb data plane connectivity i.e. BFD sessions

Yes, it may. If the new control connection is established on a new port, the BDF and IPSEC sessions will re-established.

Yes. I just experienced this today.  We have two links AT&T and Comcast; our control connections at this point (we are transitioning from GETVPN to SDWAN with some sites on SDWAN and some still on GETVPN only)  so when one of our sites had the Comcast circuit go down; our OMP timers set for 7 days go thru AT&T when in this failover state. The downed router shows no control connections but the data plane still seems to be up; so lesson learned; don't issue the clear sdwan control connections; they don't even appear on the router at this point completely blank; issued the clear sdwan control connections hoping to re-establish them as we've done in the past; and then the whole router connections to SDWAN go down. OMP and we had to wait until the Comcast circuit issue got resolved in order to get the site back up.  While it was down though I could get ssh via AT&T and see all the control connections still down; so the "clear sdwan control connections" definitely reset the data plane in our case.  lesson learned.