Views
Helpful
Replies

Design vSMART location

mikey_p
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you are running sites that only have MPLS connections with Internet services via a DC and other sites that only have Internet connections is it logical to have multiple vSMARTs?  A vSMART hosted on the MPLS network and another hosted in the cloud?  I.e. the intelligence of the solution doesn’t suffer if there is an outage of vSMART or Internet connection at the DC?

Thanks

Mike

3 Replies 3

mikey_p
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

svemulap@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Mike -

Not sure if you got a response or not.

Wherever vSmart is hosted, it has to be reachable to the Edge device, so that they can talk to each other.
This is whether OMP or pushing the policies etc.

Wrt where the vSmart(s) need to be - depends up on the network type. If the customer has international presence,
have vSmart(s) in different geographical locations. Say, Americas / EMEA and APAC. Not suggesting that you
have to have this. Giving this is an example. If I am a customer with North American presence, may have a
vSmart in East Coast and another on West Coast .. so that there is redundancy and path diversity.

This way it addresses both Edge/branch locations and DC sites too.

Hope it helps.

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

Multiple vSmarts is basically for redundancy for the Control Plane traffic. How many sites you have in total and what is your design ?

Regards
Inderdeep Singh
www.thenetworkdna.com

****RATE MY RESPONSES IF YOU LIKE***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: