cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrade is not supported from controller. For version 17.14

dijix1990
VIP
VIP

Is it normal that vmanager 20.14 can't downgrade software for routers?

[17-Aug-2024 21:06:49 NOVT] Change Partition action submitted for execution
[17-Aug-2024 21:06:51 NOVT] Executing device action Change Partition
[17-Aug-2024 21:06:51 NOVT] Checking available software image on the device
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:00 NOVT] Configuring upgrade confirm timer to 15 minutes
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:00 NOVT] Sending request to device for Activation of SW version 17.09.05a.0.6476
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:00 NOVT] Rebooting device to other partition may take up to 30 minutes
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:02 NOVT] [in_progress] Started Pre-Upgrade Check: Pre-Upgrade Checks for 'activate/reboot' workflow
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:07 NOVT] [success] System Load Check: System has healthy CPU levels
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:07 NOVT] [success] Memory Usage Check: System has healthy Memory levels
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:07 NOVT] [failure] Image Validity Check: Downgrade operation is not supported from controller.
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:07 NOVT] Remediation Image Validity Check: Retry without 'reboot' option and use CLI with 'activate clean' option
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:07 NOVT] [success] Config-register Check: Autoboot is enabled
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:07 NOVT] [success] Control-connection status Check: Control-connection to vManage is UP
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:07 NOVT] [failure] Finished Pre-Upgrade Check: Aborting requested workflow due to failures
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:07 NOVT] Pre upgrade check failed.
[17-Aug-2024 21:07:08 NOVT] Device: Activation Failed

Are Cisco programmers laughing at us

Branch-2#request platform software sdwan software activate 17.09.05a.0.6476
install_activate: START Sat Aug 17 21:08:20 NOVT 2024
install_activate: Activating IMG
    FAILED: Downgrade is not supported from controller. Use CLI with activate clean option
 [1] Sub state not defined on  R0
FAILED: install_activate Sat Aug 17 21:08:21 NOVT 2024

8 Replies 8

@dijix1990 

This is actually documented.

• Downgrading directly from controller mode to Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam Release 17.1.x or earlier universalk9 or other non Cisco Catalyst SD-WAN images is not supported. To downgrade from controller mode to earlier IOS XE images, switch to autonomous mode and follow the downgrade process.

• Downgrading directly from autonomous mode to Cisco IOS XE SD-WAN 16.12 or earlier ucmk9 SD-WAN images is not supported. To downgrade from autonomous mode to earlier Cisco IOS XE Catalyst SD-WAN images, switch to controller mode and follow the downgrade process.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/sdwan-xe-gs-book/install-upgrade-17-2-later.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_f292311c-f2af-45a1-865d-98acfcf45d56

I can't downgrade software for routers not for controllers. Before 20.14 version (for example 20.12) I could downgrade software for my routers. 

For example I recently downgrade software 17.12 to 17.9 

I'm also running 20.14 and no downgrades work.  This can't possibly be correct behavior.  If you have a version of the router code like we just did how in the world are you supposed to revert back to an earlier version?  This doesn't seem right.  In my case I was running 17.12.3 as a test and found multiple issues.  Simply trying to revert to 17.9.4 failed and you then have to issue a platform clean in order to basically reset the router to factory.  Then you can downgrade it in CLI or non controller mode.  Once you are on the desired version you can bootstrap and reattach template.  This isn't tenable for remote offices that aren't close.  

You can't install older version on a router running a newer version, that's true, so downgrade is not supported, but if some older software was installed previously and still presented on the boot flash (i.e. "show sdwan software" still shows older version), you can still activate an older version, but router will start with a version of configuration from CDB snapshot at the point when upgrade was requested to a newer version. You can also downgrade by using CLI method "request platfrom software install ... clean", but it will result in configuration loss. To prevent this, you should save bootstrap config file via "request platfom software sdwan bootstrap save"

hope it helps and explanation is clear

I had the old software on my router but despite this I couldn't downgrade.

Does this command save configuration to the flash "request platfom software sdwan bootstrap save"

As I understood

• we save bootstrap — request platfom software sdwan bootstrap save
  • Reset software -  request platfrom software clean
  • Device started with old version and try to use bootstrap. 

You can try to activate the old version via CLI then first:

request pl soft sdwan soft activate <version as it is seen in show sdwan software output>

If you want to reset the software, make sure the desired (old) version set to default first from vManage or via CLI "req pl soft sdwan soft set-default <version as it is seen in show sdwan software output>

Via cli it doesn't work, I tried it.

Hey guys, this is such a monstrous pain, but small silver lining -- you can at least push the image down to the switch via vManage, and as long as you don't select "Activate and Reload" it won't error out. From there you'll see the file in flash and you can upgrade from CLI (request platform blah blah). Hope that's helpful for someone else.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card