cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to put vManage back to CLI-mode

brian.jones
Level 1
Level 1

I am running 20.9.4.1 in my lab and I know I can rebuild everything, but I came across a quirk and want to get more information/guidance.

I have a simple setup, with a single vManage, vSmart, vBond with three vEdges.  I got everything stood up and saw that the controllers can be placed into vManaged-mode, so I went ahead and configured a device template for all the controllers and place them into vManage mode. 

When I attempted to sign back into vManage, my password was reset to the "default password" and when I put the password in, it asked me to change it.  However, if I try to change the password, I get an error saying "User operation not allowed in vManage mode. Verify device attachments for all nodes in the cluster. While in vmanage-mode, password can be changed only through device template".

Now, I figured out how to temporarily disable vmanage-mode:

Personality: vmanage
Model name: vmanage
Services: None
vManaged: false
Commit pending: false
Configuration template: vManage-Template-v1
Chassis serial number: None

But restarting nms, causes it to be back into vManage mode (probably due to the configuration-db). 

My question "Is there a way to force the vManage device from not being managed by itself?"

I believe the issue was caused due to the AAA being the factory template instead of configuring the admin user in the template, so I think I know if I rebuild it, I can correct it, but I am looking to see if I can save the time for all the rebuild.  No backups were taken, so that will be the other thing I will do in the rebuild.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I know I'm late, but for anyone else that has this issue: you can create a new user with netadmin privileges via vManage CLI:

!

config

system

aaa

user testuser

password Testuser123

group netadmin

commit and-quit

yes

!

And then use this user to log in to the vManage GUI. After this you can change the AAA template of vManage.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

I know I'm late, but for anyone else that has this issue: you can create a new user with netadmin privileges via vManage CLI:

!

config

system

aaa

user testuser

password Testuser123

group netadmin

commit and-quit

yes

!

And then use this user to log in to the vManage GUI. After this you can change the AAA template of vManage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying.  I will make a note of this if I run into an issue with getting into vManage GUI in the future.

fermiwu8888
Spotlight
Spotlight

The root cause is the managerd flow must  be used by  vpn512.   

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card