Views
Helpful
Replies

how to rollback SDWAN config to non-SDWAN confg

SvenL
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

what if during a migration you need to rollback the SDWAN config to the previous non-sdwan config. (Note that I'm not talking about the IOS software, just the config).

Just detaching the device won't help as the SDWAN-config will stay in place (albeit be it in CLI mode)

Since "configure replace" is not supported in the CLI, it seems that we need to comb through the config and remove what is SDWAN-flavored? This seems very cumbersone, timeconsuming and is asking for mistakes since we basically need to convert a VRF-config to a non-VRF-config.

Is there no easier way?

Thanks,
SvenL.

3 Replies 3

toj12
Level 1
Level 1

This is still a very good question. I was performing some labs and noticed I couldn't find a rollback feature. How can I rollback a templated SDWAN configuration which was deployed?  If using CLI, I would normally backup the configuration prior to any changes.

svenlanckmans
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was able to answer it myself

Here's the rollback procedure I use (as of 17.3.2) :
copy to bootflash the config before the SDWAN migration (makes sure to add the line "vty 0 4 enable telnet" as the ssh daemon won't be running after reboot)
copy running-config bootflash:ciscortr.cfg
controller-mode disable

reboot

After the reboot all config will be restored except the ssh daemon. To turn iit back on:
conf term
crypto key generate rsa general-keys modulus 2048

Sven.

Simple..Change device mode to non controller using "controller-mode disable" exec command. And copy paste your regular IOS XE config

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.