cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

maximum count of secondary regions

Martin Kyrc
Level 3
Level 3

Based on SW version is maximum number of regions 8 or 12 (I'm not sure, but I think, it's connected to PRIMARY regions). My question is, how many SECONDARY regions can I use? Is there any limit (no there is no info in documentation)? Another question is if SECONDARY regions is part of "maximum number of regions" (8 (12)).

PRIMARY regions ID can be number between 1 and 8 (12). Which numbers/ID can I use for SECONDARY regions? I can't find info in documentation (on some examples is used secondary region ID 5, in another 20). Is "ID" for primary region important (1-8(12)) or can I use any other "number" but important is count of regions (maximum count can't be more than 8 (12))? 

Link to hierarchical sd-wan restrictions:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/hierarchical-sdwan/hierarchical-sdwan-guide/h-sd-wan-basics.html#h-sdwan-restrictions

Link to "secondary regions":
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/hierarchical-sdwan/hierarchical-sdwan-guide/secondary-regions.html 

martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

svemulap@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
hi Martin Kyrc -

The maximum number of regions are 8 and increased to 12 from 20.8.1 / 17.8.1a
Secondary Regions are independent of Max # of regions.
The use case of secondary region is to provide direct tunnel connections between edge routers in different primary regions.
It is one secondary region per node, which is in a primary region.
Secondary region ID range is 1 to 63, which is different from primary region / ID

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

svemulap@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
hi Martin Kyrc -

The maximum number of regions are 8 and increased to 12 from 20.8.1 / 17.8.1a
Secondary Regions are independent of Max # of regions.
The use case of secondary region is to provide direct tunnel connections between edge routers in different primary regions.
It is one secondary region per node, which is in a primary region.
Secondary region ID range is 1 to 63, which is different from primary region / ID

HTH

Thank you for clarification of secondary regions numbering. Everything else is clear for me.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card