cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki : Add a fresh switch to the network with a switch templete?

Mohit Chauhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a setup of a switch template with 28 networks bound to it. However, we are not seeing much value as most of them have local overridden config.

Whilst keeping the operations working as it is, if we need to add new switches to the same sites, whats the best way to go about it if dont want to add to use this template and keep these fresh switches not part of any template? Will that mean we will need to create 28 fresh new networks (with new unique names) and add them respectively even though they will be plugged to the same sites where the existing switches are?

Sorry if my question has confused you more -  please feel free to ask any clarifying questions on the above info, but any help or suggestions shared will be highly appreciated. So far I could not find any answers in any Meraki documentations I had a chance to look.

Thanks in reading this far and appreciate your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

> if I want to add another switch (without being part of any template) to the same site which is bound to a template, can I do that?

Yes.

>Will I still need to use the same network template without using the switch templ

Yes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A switch template in a templated network, is only applied if you assign it to the switch.  You can add a new switch in a network bound to a network template and not use the existing switch template.

Thanks Philip for your inputs here.

Just to clarify a bit here - if I want to add another switch (without being part of any template) to the same site which is bound to a template, can I do that? Will I still need to use the same network template without using the switch template or could I also create a fresh network and have the switches there. Even though physically the old and new switch will be in the same physical site and most likely connected physically?

My reason for keeping them separate was to avoid binding them by mistake in future by some one (assuming by keeping it in a separate network this wont be allowed by the dashboard).

Thanks for looking into this again.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

> if I want to add another switch (without being part of any template) to the same site which is bound to a template, can I do that?

Yes.

>Will I still need to use the same network template without using the switch templ

Yes.

Mohit Chauhan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Philip for your help. Appreciate it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card