Views
Helpful
Replies

Programming Logic on SD-WAN CLI templates

Axel Robbe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've been looking around for documentation on SD-WAN and what seems to be missing is some more 'advanced' logic besides the use of variables. I noticed that the newer SD-WAN release also allows CLI templates for IOS-XE devices, which already helps in some regard compared to the feature templates. However, for our customer, we have so many different site designs that we need some logic in the generation of CLI template devices.

The variables in the default templates look like jinja2, however I was not able to get if-else statements running in the CLI template. Is this a supported feature?

If not, how can we actually implement logic?

I'm somewhat familiar with Ansible and trying to learn some nornir. However, I haven't really found good guides either on those tools on how to talk to SD-WAN. The github repos are a bit overwhelming and I'd rather start from scratch with small steps implementing more and more features if we would go that route.

Kind regards.

2 Replies 2

There is no functionality like that in vmanage. There are only the variables and nothing more. So you would need to do the logic outside vmanage and push via API (or manually) a final configuration. 

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, I had come to the same conclusion and have been working on creating a script that will roll this out for us through the API. Jinja2 templating allows exactly what we need, so I'll continue down that path. 

Thanks again.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card