cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading ISR 4331 from 17.3 to 17.9 SDWAN

Jason Spring
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to upgrade an ISR 4331 running 17.3.4a to 17.9.4a. The device is in Controller-Managed mode. I have been unable to push the new software via vManage while getting a "boot partition cannot be found". It should also be noted that it appears as if the router was booted using the bundle mode versus using install mode. I say this because another 4331 I am running at the same site is booting from the packages.conf file. 

I am assuming that I need to somehow get this router to boot using the install mode but everything I have tried doesn't seem to work. 

WR2#show bootvar
BOOT variable = bootflash:isr4300-universalk9.17.03.04a.SPA.bin,1;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby not ready to show bootvar

WR2#install add file bootflash:isr4300-universalk9.17.06.03a.SPA.bin
This command is not supported

WR2#request platform software package expand file bootflash:isr4300-universalk9.17.06.03a.SPA.bin
This command is not supported

WR2#show version | in mode
Router operating mode: Controller-Managed

Furthermore, I do not have the ability to manually change the boot statement while in Controller-Managed. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

5 Replies 5

Hi,

this device is in bundle mode (BOOT variable = bootflash:isr4300-universalk9.17.03.04a.SPA.bin,1;) , so install commands will not work.

Follow this procedure to upgrade using CLI:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/sdwan-xe-gs-book/install-upgrade-17-2-later.html#upgrade-using-cli

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

I will give this a shot although the install command give the input below and nothing else really happens. I would expect the install command would create the package but I could be wrong. 

WR2#request platform software sdwan software install bootflash:isr4300-universalk9.17.06.03a.SPA.bin
/tmp/sw/rp/0/0/rp_security/mount/usr/bin/polaris_upgrade.sh: line 169: [: -ne: unary operator expected

Not sure if it needs to be activated and a reload done before it creates the package. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

can you post dir bootflash:  (do you see packages.conf file ?)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

packages.conf file is not there. I am beginning to think I am going to have to convert back to autonomous mode to get it converted to install mode. Maybe I can copy the packages.conf file from another device? 

yes correct, if you have downtime agreed - for clean the setup

switch the mode

Device# controller-mode disable

Then convert to install mode and upgrade to latest code using install mode  - then enable contrller mode and upgrade as mentioned below :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/sdwan-xe-gs-book/install-upgrade-17-2-later.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help