Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Tyche
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to solve a CSR signing issue in a home lab.

Can someone  clarify this theoretical point?

According to Wikipedia:

"Before creating a CSR, the applicant first generates a key pair, keeping the private key secret. The CSR contains information identifying the applicant (such as a distinguished name in the case of an X.509 certificate) which must be signed using the applicant's private key. The CSR also contains the public key chosen by the applicant."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_signing_request

Is  the public key chosen by the applicant,  the public key of the Certificate Authority that is going to sign the certificate (e.g. Verisign root CA certificate chain) or is it the public key of the CSR requester?

3 Comments
Tyche
Level 1
Level 1

Just being preemptive, the technology in question is Viptela/Cisco vManage, vBond, and vSmart 

Certificates are required for the fabric to work. I am just trying to get a clear understanding of the cryptographic exchanges to troubleshoot a set-up issue. 

Gustavo Medina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The public key of the requester. At this point the requester has no idea of who the CA will be.

Tyche
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you. I was able to isolate and solve the problem with the information you provided.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: