Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth manager

ashraf.ali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am looking at an appliance to funtion as a bandwidth manager in an Internet datacenter environment. Have evaluated couple of them [P-Cube, NetEngorcer]. Either I find them an overkill for such a requirement or I do not find it supporting the relevant features. Pls help me on this with your experience.

Thanks

regards

Ashraf

5 Replies 5

rameshwarhiwale
Level 1
Level 1

Ashraf

try this

1) Netflow analyzer

2)MRTG

3)PRTG

4)Solar winds

5)Sniffer 4.5

I think you got me wrong here. I am looking at a bandwidth manager and not a traffic analyser.

Ashraf-

Are you looking for something more along the lines of a PacketShaper, from Packeteer? Check out http://www.packetshaper.com ...it's one of the most widely deployed bandwidth managers in the world - very heavily entrenched in the University sector.

Hope that helps!

Daxter - Thanks for e-mail reply. In fact Packetshaper was one of the first choice considered by us. Apprantly we did not find any support for certain features like volume-based traffic shaping.

For ex: Shaping customer hosted network/servers to 10 GigaBytes of data transfer per month one way or cumulative.

This is one of the product offerings that we are planning to roll-out.

regards

Ashraf

Hi there,

Looking at your requirement for "Shaping customer hosted network/servers to 10 GigaBytes of data transfer per month one way or cumulative." Then you are looking at some AAA accounting. Have a look at freeRADIUS or some of the other RADIUS offerings.

These will be able to do cumulative bandwidth, etc.

Hope that helps,

LH