cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BSTUN with IBM Bisync?

kraigthelen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who has a requirement to replace old Motorola Premier 33.6 V.34 modems with Cisco routers.  There are four point to point Bisync connections between two bldgs.  Fiber is the router WAN interface between the bldgs.  We've configured two 7206 routers with PA-4T+ serial adapters at each location.  Here is a basic illustration of the setup.

Host-----S1(bsc sec)/router----bstun----R1-S1(bsc pri)-control channel

Host-----S2(bsc cont1)/router __bstun__R2-Serial2(bsc cont1)-data

Host-----S3(bsc cont1)/router __bstun____R3-Serial3(bsc cont1) -data

Host-----S4(bsc cont1)/router______R4-S4(bsc cont1) -  (data)

Serial 1 works well as configured.  However, the only way to get Serials 2 - 4 to function is to configure them for contention which implies 3780 or RJE Bisync.  The problem we're seeing is that data flows fine between the two bldgs but there is a termination signal that is not being passed.  The termination works fine when the modems are used but not with the router solution.  Another oddity is that when a protocol analyzer is inserted in the data path, we can only capture data if the analyzer is in async mode.  I'm suspicious that the modems have somthing to do with the termination and that the routers cannot emulate that.  Maybe a break signal?  Has anyone ever had similiar issues with Bisync?

Please let me know.

1 Reply 1

kraigthelen
Level 1
Level 1

It's Fixed!

Yes and it's undocumented..it required that the peer-drop-timer be set for the BSC protocol to be sensed correctly.!

Thanks Cisco you were of no help with identifying this problem...better luck next time!

Sorry for dissing you but, we need to thank the system integrator Michael Drumheller of the Harris Corporation, for finding your undocumented commands within IOS 12.4.

Those interested search for "peer-drop-timer" in debug...

After Michael set the command and matched the network speed the link EOT termination worked properly with the remote IBM series 1 that was attached to the z/VM Host and Guest System.

Cisco, I sure wish you still had somone with Legacy IBM BYSNC skills in your support staff, but we are lucky that you do have dedicated system integrators in the field who are diligent and see that a problem gets resolved.

As this took a team of 6 4 days to resolve

Best Regards,

KRAIG

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card