Views
Helpful
Replies

C240M4 with VIC 1227 running Linux unable to receive ARP traffic

bpkroth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a handful of C240M4s with VIC 1227 10G vNICs in them that I'm having trouble getting IPv4 connectivity on.

In my testing, I've gotten to the point of entirely taking out the switch so that I now only have two nodes talking to one another over a single cable.

The vNICs are set to ACCESS mode with all of the offload engines disabled (just to rule those out as well).  Everything else is as it was after a "Reset to Defaults" was issued.

The base OS is Debian Linux (Jessie) running their stock 3.16 kernel with the enic driver.  No iptables, ebtables, or sysctl tweaks whatsoever.

As it's configured, I cannot seem to get ARP traffic to pass through the NICs.  However, if I manually prime the arp table on both machines via something like "ip neigh", then I can ping between both machines just fine (until the arp cache times out again).  When I tcpdump things, I see arp requests going out on one machine, but never coming in on the other machine.

Now here's the really weird part:  ping6 works fine.  My only guess is that somehow L2 multicast (ndp) is being delivered, but L2 broadcast (arp) is not and there must be some configuration fixup required in the vNIC setup (or maybe the OS driver - I haven't explored changing that out yet).

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Brian

1 Reply 1

bpkroth
Level 1
Level 1

For what it's worth, this was fixed by a firmware update that was released shortly after I posted this.  2.0(3f) and 2.0(3i) at least are known to work for us.

Cheers,
Brian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card