cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco nexus 5596 + fex and connect other network device...

lchorebala
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need connect to fex 2248 (nexus 5596) network devices (cluster F5 LTM, blade infrastrukture, and other).

I need reliable information, can I connect these devices.

What are the limits, what are the risks ...

Regards

Lukasz

2 Replies 2

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can connect anything that behaves like a host to the network in the fex. (hosts do not process STP bpdu).

I mean, if a device send bpdu, it can't be connected to the fex port or the port will be automatically disabled.

Besides this rule, you have to be aware in the east-west traffic. All traffic that goes to FEX, must go to upstream switch, even if have to come back to another port in the same fex.

Regards.

Richard

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Lukasz,

As Richard mention, its is not supported to connect any network device which can send/receive BPDU connected to the FEX ports. Even if you connect some of the network devices routers, F/W's  and IPS devices, its still not supported. I had a recent TAC experience where we had some issues regarding the ASA/Router peering using the FEX ports and TAC made customer move all teh devices to 5K else they would not support the issue.

So the offcial statement is please do not connect anything except Hosts/Servers to your FEX ports.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card