cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ucs iscsi boot

josh.goodin
Level 1
Level 1

I have modified our service template to boot from iscsi and I have only applied service profile form this template to a single blade.  I have been able to get this single blade to boot from iscsi in our cisco ucs environment, but when configuring the boot parameters in the service template, if you enter a single iSCSI Static Target Interface into the boot parameters of your service template, how would you get each blade to connect to a different volume?  you can't have all of your ucs blades boot from the same volume, can you?

3 Replies 3

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The iSCSI target is the same, but the iSCSI initiator (defined in the Service Profile) are different. Lun masking / mapping on the iSCSI storage will then map the individual iSCSI Initiator to the appropritae boot lun.

That is how I was thinking it would work, but we use HP Storevirtual for iSCSI.  It is a clustered multi-site architecture.  The cluster itself does not have an iqn.  Each volume we create has the unique iqn.  so we are unable to simply point to the cluster.  We have to point to individual volumes.  We can map the servers to the volumes in our storage management console.  while the iqn pool does assign a unique iqn to each service profile/blade, I see no option in ucs to be able to map each service profile to a unique volume.   I can see no other settings in the storage management console for volume or lun mapping.