cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco USC C240 servers

staphisco
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to ESXI on cisco USC C240 but getting error: Can’t Have a Partition Outside the disk.

Any idea?

Thx

4 Replies 4

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of ESXi?

Are you using Cisco branded SD cards?

Have you scrubbed them and created a healthy virtual drive?

This seems to match what you are seeing, if you are attempting to install to SD.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCus51007/?reffering_site=dumpcr

You may also attempt to install ESXi via the SCU.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/ucsscu/user/guide/31/UCS_SCU/booting.html

Yes, I'm using SD card.  Any suggestions is helpful and appreciate 

No I did not scrub them and create a healthy drive.  Please tell me how to do that. Rhx

Workaround:
Install VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 1 and then upgrade to update 2.
or
Install VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 1, reboot the system and install ESXi 5.5 Update 2 for a clean installation.
or
If it is a UCS Manager integrated UCS C-Series server then scrub the FlexFlash and install VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 2. (CSCus51007)
or
From VMware ESXi recovery console (Alt + F1) recreate disk partition as gpt by executing:
partedUtil mklabel /vmfs/devices/disk/mpx.vmhba33\:C0\:T0\:L0 gpt

VMware has root caused the issue and this is what they had to say :

In 51u3+ and 55u2+ we have introduced a new change that does not initialize unknown disks
with msdos master boot record (MBR), This change was necessary due to other issues than can occur
and the change cannot be reversed

Behavior:
When user has custom partition schemes that are not recognized by installer 
(in this case, it's Cisco flex flash partition scheme), The installer don't understand it and therefore can't use it

In older ESX versions we used to initialize with empty msdos MBR - equivalent to putting empty msdos partition layout - and proceed with installation

Workaround:
(1) to install old versions of ESXi (51u2, 55u1) and upgrade to (51u3+ or 55u2+ or 60+) 
-or-
(2) Cisco has to remove the flexflash partition scheme and use raw SD card as is
We have tried installing to raw SD card by connecting it to UCS via USB-SD card adapter and it worked fine