Views
Helpful
Replies

compatibility CISCO TWINAX <-> HPE Server NIC's

Hannebammbel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we want to connect some HPE Server to a Catalyst 3850-24XS-S

We want to use for this DAC Cables like SFP-H10GB-ACU10M= and SFP-H10GB-ACU7M=.

Does anybody know if this cables where support in GEN8 & GEN9 HPE Server NICs (like 560SFP+ & 562SFP+)

To find out details about DAC Compatibility is really a mess.

Would be cool if somebody have some experience to share.

Best Regards

Matthias

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
Yes they work, the only thing that I've seen in the past make sure from HPE that you'll receive support with Cisco SFP's. I've seen in the past they really don't care but I would hate for you to install the Twinax cables and have no support down the road.

Otherwise they are the same type and specifications.

Here are some older links but are still good...

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Cisco-Nexus-5596-HP-SFP-compatibility/td-p/6864877

https://community.hpe.com/t5/BladeSystem-Virtual-Connect/Cisco-Twinax-support-on-Virtual-Connect/td-p/5951231

View solution in original post

You should ask HP if their servers will work with our cables. Cisco is not going to test if our cables work with HP, so you cant really blame the manufacturer. If you want to avoid compatibility issues, just buy Cisco.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
Yes they work, the only thing that I've seen in the past make sure from HPE that you'll receive support with Cisco SFP's. I've seen in the past they really don't care but I would hate for you to install the Twinax cables and have no support down the road.

Otherwise they are the same type and specifications.

Here are some older links but are still good...

https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Cisco-Nexus-5596-HP-SFP-compatibility/td-p/6864877

https://community.hpe.com/t5/BladeSystem-Virtual-Connect/Cisco-Twinax-support-on-Virtual-Connect/td-p/5951231

HI Rick,

thanks for your reply. I really don't know why the manufactors are avoiding to give clear information about that kind of compatibillites.

That is the reason why i normally choose for this kind of requirements 3rd Party Transceivers.

I pay less and have proberly the same unsupported Solution if i would by Cisco/ or HPE Cables.

You should ask HP if their servers will work with our cables. Cisco is not going to test if our cables work with HP, so you cant really blame the manufacturer. If you want to avoid compatibility issues, just buy Cisco.

yea we have done that =). It was more generell Statement from my side.
In my optionen all DAC cable should be compatible to MSA Standard.

Mital_KE
Level 1
Level 1

Was seeking to connect HPE DL380 Gen10 to Cisco Nexus 31108PC-V via Direct Attach/ Twinax Cables, as much cheaper than SFPs. However, received following feedback from HPE to discourage me. Neither Cisco, nor HPE compatibility matrix show 3rd party cables, so best to go with SFPs at each end & LC-LC cable to have a supported config.

HPE: 

I’m afraid the mentioned X2A0 is not supported neither with 562 NIC’s nor with the Nexus switches.
All the cables that can be used with these NIC’s are listed in quickspecs but unfortunately since we’re talking about 3rd party switch connectivity the DAC cables aren’t really supported in this case.
We cannot confirm that the Nexus switch will support our cables. The recommended and supported solution would be to use 10Gb SR transceivers on both sides of connection and LC-LC optical cables.
HP BladeSystem c-Class 10Gb SFP+ SR Transceiver - 455883-B21 can be used with 562 server NIC’s.

Follow up again from HPE:

As I mentioned previously 3rd party cables are not officially supported with our hardware.
The recommended supported way to connect our hardware to 3rd party switches is by using transceivers and optical cables instead.
There are no Cisco DAC or AOC cables that would be officially supported with 562SFP+ NIC’s. The customer can still try to test them and use them under his own responsibility but HPE will not support this.