Views
Helpful
Replies

FEX-2232 FCoE Port channel limitation

aviyoshi10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i havea single FEX 2232 single homed to nexus 5020 via port-channel. at the FEX 2232, i connected a server which have 2 X CNA and running two vlans: vlan 200 for ethernet and vlan 300 for FCoE.

i connected the server to the single fex via port-channel and allowed vlan 200 & 300. at the N5K i bounded single vfc interface to this port-channel.

when i am issuing the show flogi database i see only single PWWN.

as i understand, a single vfc interface can only see single PWWN, is this correct ?

if it does, how can i have my setup running in a way that ethernet traffic  will used port-channel and for fcoe traffic i will see two PWWN ?

please advise,

Avi.

3 Replies 3

Surya ARBY
Level 4
Level 4

when running a standard F port, it accepts only 1 FLOGI

Surya ARBY
Level 4
Level 4

If you want to provide SAN availability, you'll have to create another FCOE VLAN and put your second CNA into this new vlan

It is not necessary to create another FCoE Vlan if the logins are coming on the same n5k. If there is a requirement for multiple fcoe logins on the same n5k, then it will need to be single link port channels instead of multiple links in the port channel. That way we acquire the ability to bind each physical port via port-channel into a separate vfc. In your case ideally you can have two n5ks with two n2232s single homed to each n5k and the server dual homed with 1 port each connected to two separate 2232s in active-active teaming. That way you can bind the physical interfaces into single virtual port channel on the respective n5ks. at that point, you can separate the san traffic into different vsan/vlan and make sure you dont trunk the fcoe vlan over the vpc peer link.

Hope this helps, Vinayak.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: