cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Host name unresolved

Onrcan91
Level 1
Level 1

I configured everything thoroughly well and i can the ping the server as well but i can't reach the addresses which are configured in DNS Server,i get an error that Host Name Unresolved,let me attach the .pkt file.Thanks in advance.(I couldn't add the .pkt file.)Is there anybody help me add .pkt file or who knows the solution ?

16 Replies 16

IsimiseDC99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Go to your PC's ip configuration

enter PC ip

subnet mask

Default gateway 

DNS SERVER IP (that ip which you have assigned to the DNS server)

The error "host name unresolved" comes when the DNS server box entery in that PC is 0.0.0.0,

So do type the DNS server ip in that PC, and run web browser, type DNS/IP.

It will work. 

DC 

same issue. solution doesnt help

i will follow you lets see my issue been solve or not bro

pure

Hi,

All my required configurations are correct. I found a problem with connection that is made to cloud and modem. I have fixed it by changing the options in cloud.

Thanks

Thank you, It really solved my problem. you are the saviour.

how did you resloved it . I am still struggling 

Hello,

I did a home connection using a wireless router and client.

I have a wireless router, 2 desktop computers, a laptop with a wireless interface card, a television, a cable modem and a cable splitter.

I have done all the configurations. I connected the two desktop computers to the router using a copper straight-through cable, 

I connected the router to a cable modem using another copper straight-through cable.

The cable model and the television are separately connected to the coaxial cable splitter using a coaxial cable.

I have done the configuration of the desktops and laptop setting the DHCP to automatic configuration.

I have configured the wireless connection of the laptop and the router and they work fine.

I can access the default gateway address from the web browser in the desktop option and it leads me to the wireless router settings.

My challenge now is that after successfully configuring the laptop to use the wireless connection of the router, whenever I try to access a website, for example: skillsforall.srv or google.com, etc, it comes up with a notification: Host name unresolved.

How do I resolve this issue please?

NOTE: I am using Home wireless router in my Packet tracer topology.

My understanding on resolving "Host Name unresolved" or "Ping request could not find host"

So before everything, ensure you have a server device and cloud (internet) on your topology and they've been configured

Now to the other end devices:

After configuring the devices, we can ping them on their desktop settings command prompt by using either their label names or their IP addresses. To be able to ping them with their label name as displayed in the workspace, we must first register them on the server devices. .

This is achieved by clicking on the server device -----> desktop --> IP Configuration --à services ---->. DNS ----> The Name field should bear the name label of the device as displayed on the workspace, the address should bear the IP address of the server, the type should be Record which is already there as default. Thereafter, click on the add button.

With this, you can then ping a device using the label name of the device and the IP address. Without this procedure, one can only ping a device via its IP address.

Then for the web browser, only the server can be accessed in the web browser, the other end devices serving as hosts such as PC, laptop, phones etc can’t be accessed through the web browser. One can access the server only through the web browser from any of the end devices including the server itself.

Also ensure that the information of the server is also captured in the server services DNS settings.

This solves it.

Well, in that cause go to check the static DNS number that you configured in the router.

It should be the same ip address that you configured on the server, then check in the pc that the DNS number is the same in the computer.

For example:

router DNS static  address: 208.67.220.223

server DNS address should be the same: 208.67.220.223 (DHCP network settings)

check the pc and it has to be the same: 208.67.220.223 (just an example)

then release and renew the IP on the computer and then try to ping it again.

I hope it helps.

Hi,

i have connected two networks to the same DNS server, for example home network and office network providing static IP address. I have given all the addressing perfects including DNS address in the router. In my scenario iam able to ping the server from home network. whereas iam not able to ping from the office network, it is reflecting Host name unresolved.

could you please help in this regard.

thanks

srikanth

In this case, I would have a separate DNS server for each network who provide the service when the user is requesting it. or are u connecting 2 separate networks from one DNS server for any particular reason?

thanks for your support.
actually i have connected could in between the router and server.
when i made connections between them, the connections are turned up i found those are perfect. But later, after checking it thoroughly in the cloud settings the cable connection is not added. i have fixed the cable connection coaxial to ethernet in the settings and added them. Then my problem is resolved by providing IP address to router dynamically from DNS server.. which means i have used one server for DNS and DHCP services.
thanks

draj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In PT, this thing happened if missed the "dns-server" command in router configuration when the IP dhcp pool enabled to obtain IPs and we need to tell the router while creating the DHCP pool what is our dns server. you may add it later but if do so, have renew ipconfig of the PC to pull the later info from updated pool.

Cheers!

Regards,

draj

piera jaque
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! 

I had the same problem as you, to fix it go to the dns section on the server and make sure that the "dns service" is on. I hope I've helped

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: