Views
Helpful
Replies

How's the new M6 LFF HyperFlex configured

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Experts,

I'm totally confused by the (rather pathetic) HyperFlex M6 LFF Specifications.

I'm particularly confused about this (taken from the Overview)

The server accommodates up to 12 front facing SAS-only LFF drives, up to 4 mid-plane SAS-only LFF drives, and up to 4 rear-facing SFF drives (SAS or SATA or NVMe).

I understand the 12 Front facing SAS-only LFF drives. It's the rest that has driven me bonkers.

Question #1

Where do the 4 mid-plane SAS-only LFF drives actually go? There is NO documentation about any mid-plane drive bays, and the diagrams are no help.  I'd love to see a picture.

And are they hot-swappable? And if so how do I get to them to hot-swap them?

Question #2

How do I use the 4 rear-facing SFF drives (SAS or SATA or NVMe) drives? To start with, these are 2.5" drives (as opposed to the 3.5" front-facing and mid-plane drives). Now I assume one of these drives will be the Cache drive (which one?) and one will be the HX System Drive (which one?) but that still leaves two more drives that can be used - but how? If they are to be used for capacity, then they will be different drive types to the other capacity drives, which has always been unsupported in all previous HyperFlex Systems.

Question #3

Exactly which slots are the Cache and HyperFlex System Drives located? In the drive selection table I only get a choice of one Rear Cache Drive (SAS) and one Rear System Drive (SATA), but no indication of which slots.

Question #4

So how can I actually use and of these 4 rear-facing SFF drives (SAS or SATA or NVMe) for NVMe use? What can I use NVMe for if there is no NVMe cache drive available.

Please - can someone de-confuse (=re-write maybe) the confusing HyperFlex M6 LFF Specifications document?

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
0 Replies 0

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card