Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface VLAN is down

Hello,

We were performing some DRC tests last night with the customer and we noticed weird issue on Nexus 5672UP. There are some VLANs which have corresponding SVIs. There is HSRP running between two N56Ks. There is a trunk (port-channel) between them. They are standalone switches, not forming vPC domain (CWDM between sites does not support 10G links). Now, if I reload one of those switches, the other one becomes HSRP primary and everything works fine. However, when that switch comes up, all interface VLANs are down with the message "VLAN is down". All trunks are up, VLANs are active in local database (transparent VTP), and there is no syslog message that could point to the reason.

N56K# sh int vla 812
Vlan812 is down (VLAN is down), line protocol is down
  Hardware is EtherSVI, address is  8c22.1234.1234
  Description: ACE_VIP
  Internet Address is 10.1.1.2/24
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec

N56K# sh vlan

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

[...]

812  812-VIP-PROD                  active    Po1, Po25, Po26, Po221, Po222
                                                Eth1/5, Eth1/6, Eth1/11, Eth1/12
                                                Eth1/13, Eth1/14, Eth1/36
                                                Eth1/37, Eth1/38, Eth1/39

It does not come up, even if I wait several minuts. It becomes operational only if I do "shut", "no shut". Can enyone explain to me why this thing happens? I have never seen anything like this on any Cat or even Nexus 7K and 5K (this one is 5672UP).

Best regards,

Krzysztof

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Is spanning-tree working properly?

Are the proper ports being blocked when you have both switches up and running?

HTH

Yes, STP is OK, I checked it. There is rapid-pvst running there and one N56K is a root, and the other one is a backup. After the primary comes up the STP converges and seems to be OK. The link between the two switches is not being blocked.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card