IOS features

tran0331
Level 1
Level 1

When I issued command onto 6509:

#show version | include IOS.

I got this below:

<<<IOS (tm) s222_rp Software

(s222_rp-ADVENTERPRISEK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)>>>

And on another 6509 switch. I got this:

#show version | include IOS.

<<<IOS (tm) s222_rp Software (s222_rp-ADVENTERPRISEK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)>>>

What is (fc1) and (fc2) and what is different features between of them?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks

2 Replies 2

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

To quote from "Cisco IOS Releases - The Complete Reference":

'fc2' is an internal rebuild of the 'fc1' build. 'fc2' is usually created to fix a specific defect found in the 'fc1' build. An 'fc2' build cannot be created if the first build was already released to a public directory.

I'm not exactly sure what that means in practical terms but it sounds like fc2 is a last-minute bugfix.

The actual bug (or "caveat" in Cisco-speak) should be detailed in the release notes, but it won't say which one caused the rebuild, although in all likelihood it's the one at the bottom of the table.

HTH - plz rate useful posts (not just mine!)

Andrew.

Nolman
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco IOS images usually contain fc1 or fc2 designators following the "release type" field.
When the software has not been released to the public and Cisco testing reveals a major defect, an fc2 rebuild occurs. The rebuild number of the images remains exactly the same as the non-released fc1. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: