cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue creating Port Group with port profile

c.walsh
Level 3
Level 3

I am having an issue creating a port group on nexus 1000v.

I create the port profile on the vsm using the following config...

port-profile type vethernet v506-openGI

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 506

no shutdown

state enabled

The port group is then learned by vmware & i add the vNIC's from 2 x VM's to the group OK.

however, i cannot then ping the default gateway & neither of the 2 vm's can ping each other?

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

thanks

Colin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Colin,

This is likely a configuration error. 

1) Are both VMs on the same ESX host?

2) If so, they should be able to ping each other, if not, you probably forget to create vlan 506 on the 1000v.

3) If they're on different hosts, then check to ensure the upstream switch(es) also have VLAN 506 created and allowed on the VEM facing uplink interfaces.

An easy test is to do "show mac address vlan 506" and look for your VMs MAC address.  If you don't see it, then the traffic isn't getting to the upstream switch.  This should help you trace it from source to destination VM and everything inbetween.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Colin,

This is likely a configuration error. 

1) Are both VMs on the same ESX host?

2) If so, they should be able to ping each other, if not, you probably forget to create vlan 506 on the 1000v.

3) If they're on different hosts, then check to ensure the upstream switch(es) also have VLAN 506 created and allowed on the VEM facing uplink interfaces.

An easy test is to do "show mac address vlan 506" and look for your VMs MAC address.  If you don't see it, then the traffic isn't getting to the upstream switch.  This should help you trace it from source to destination VM and everything inbetween.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: