Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate from 20GB Peer-Link to 80GB Peer-Link

Matt Albrecht
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have a scenario where a customer is currently using two 10GB ports in a port channel between two 56128P Nexus switches as the vPC Peer Link, and wants to upgrade this to an 80GB port channel by leveraging two unused 40GB ports.  vPC is operating normally and there are no orphan ports, and since the ports themselves have different physical capabilities I obviously cannot simply add the 40GB ports to the existing port channel while the 10GB ports are members.

My question is essentially this:  can two port-channels exist at the same time with the vpc peer-link command entered on both?  

I have performed this type of upgrade before and typically do something like the following:

1. connect new vPC cables on desired ports in shutdown state
  2. disconnect vPC peer-link cables from the vPC secondary switch
  3. allow vPC to react
  4. no channel-group "X" the existing vPC peer-link member physical interfaces on the primary switch
  5. apply the port-channel config to the desired new ports on the primary switch and no shut the ports
  6. repeat the same process on the secondary switch
  7. verify vPC/PVST+ convergence and switch statuses

This works fine, and in a well-designed scenario causes no downtime.  However, in a scenario with many orphan ports, for example, I think it would be easier and quicker if I could just:

1. configure the new vPC Peer-Link port-channel and interfaces in a shutdown state, including the vpc peer-link command
  2. shut the existing ports
  3. no-shut the new ports.

I have not had the opportunity to test this, hence my question.  A secondary question would be: have you done this type of upgrade, and if so how does your process differ from mine?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt Albrecht
CCIE Security #68011
1 Reply 1

GarrettSkj
Level 1
Level 1

I just did this exact upgrade on Nexus 7700s.

It did not allow me to have two interfaces configured as vpc peer-links.

I did it exactly as you did:

• shut all the ports on side A
  • removed the vPC peerlink Portchannel from A/B,
  • recreated vPC peerlink Portchannel  A/B
  • Unshut all the interfaces on A
  • Beer

HW/SW: 7706s, SUP2s, 8.1.1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: