Helpful
Replies

N5k power seq upgrade

minghui.qi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

As part of the N5k upgrade process, the system outputs the info below:

Module 1: Refreshing compact flash and upgrading bios/loader/bootrom/power-seq.

Warning: please do not remove or power off the module at this time.

Note: Power-seq upgrade needs a power-cycle to take into effect.

On success of power-seq upgrade, SWITCH OFF THE POWER to the system and then, power it up.

Note: Micro-controller upgrade needs a power-cycle to take into effect.

On success of micro-controller upgrade, SWITCH OFF THE POWER to the system and then, power it up.

after the switch reboot itself as part of the upgrade, I can see that the power-seq is already up on the new version in "Show version",  Do you really need to cut the switch power completely and then power it back up?? that means the switch will reboot twice and which is twice the outage to the connecting device (assume they are single homed to one N5k).

I have been doing the power cycle for all my previous upgrades, but is power cycle really necessary?

cheers

ming

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

This will depend upon the release that your upgrading from. Once you've upgraded to either NX-OS version 4.2(1)N1(1) or 5.0(2)N1(1) and above, and completed the power cycle, then the power sequencer will be the correct level. Any subsequent NX-OS upgrades will not require the power cycle.

As per the release notes:

If the switch is upgraded to the Cisco NX-OS 4.2(1)N1(1) release, but is not power-cycled as the procedure instructs, the switch will have instructions for power sequencer upgrade, but the power sequencer will not actually be upgraded. The show version will indicate a v1.2 power sequencer, but that only indicates the power sequencer upgrade instructions have been programmed. Therefore, if the switch admin cannot confirm the power off/on of the switch, it is advisable to perform a power off/on to ensure the power sequencer is actually upgraded.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

This will depend upon the release that your upgrading from. Once you've upgraded to either NX-OS version 4.2(1)N1(1) or 5.0(2)N1(1) and above, and completed the power cycle, then the power sequencer will be the correct level. Any subsequent NX-OS upgrades will not require the power cycle.

As per the release notes:

If the switch is upgraded to the Cisco NX-OS 4.2(1)N1(1) release, but is not power-cycled as the procedure instructs, the switch will have instructions for power sequencer upgrade, but the power sequencer will not actually be upgraded. The show version will indicate a v1.2 power sequencer, but that only indicates the power sequencer upgrade instructions have been programmed. Therefore, if the switch admin cannot confirm the power off/on of the switch, it is advisable to perform a power off/on to ensure the power sequencer is actually upgraded.

Regards

thanks for the reply..

I am upgrading from 5.0(3)N2(1)  to 5.2(1)N1(1a), and the install all command actually said power-seq upgrade is not required, it still prompted to power cycle to complete power-seq upgrade. I guess It's just a standard msg and it's actually not required.

cheers..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: